(photo credit: www.theguardian.com)
Last month, I came across a story that touched me so much that I had my eyes heavy, with signs of waterballs forming behind them...
It's the story of a baby whose parents had been HIV+ & wrongly assumed to be positive as well by staff of the University College Hospial, Ibadan.
Excerpts from the story are below:
"But life has its twists and turns and, sometimes, it’s doesn’t go the way we want. Just as Babalola was settling down to his new role as a father, like a pack of dominos, his world came crashing down in the twinkle of an eye. Barely three weeks after the naming ceremony, on May 22, one of the girls, Baby Taiye, died after a brief illness. As if that wasn’t enough, just four days later, on May 26, one-month old Baby Kehinde also became ill. She was immediately rushed to the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, with the hope that being the foremost medical facility in town, she would get the best of treatment and attention.
Alas, in the course of treatment, a tourniquet that was tied on Kehinde’s arm to facilitate the fixing of an infusion was forgotten on the arm overnight! The mother laments, “If I had known what would happen to my baby, I would have insisted on staying with her.“I was the one that discovered the tourniquet on my baby’s arm the next day. I noticed she was in great pain, and showed discomfort when I got close to her right arm. I was alarmed when I saw her hand reddened and swollen, and the tourniquet still firmly clasped in place! “
I screamed, and that attracted their attention. When the doctor that rushed to examine my baby saw her arm, he was just shaking his head. It was then I knew something bad had happened.” The heartbroken mother continued, “I wept, and became inconsolable.” Hajia Babalola claims that by the third day the condition of Baby Kehinde’s right arm had started deteriorating with massive gangrene infection; and without adequate explanations as regards what went wrong and with no form of counselling offered to the distraught parent. “UCH authorities merely informed the parents that their baby’s arm would have to be amputated,”
According to reports, the couple are known patients of the HIV/AIDS Clinic of UCH and Oladapo contends that, on sighting them that night, “the general assumption was that their baby too must be HIV-positive; even though they failed to first scientifically determined her true status.” Danuk opines that it was this faulty assumption that made the teaching hospital to erroneously place Baby Kehinde on anti-retroviral therapy (ARV) in May 2004. Indeed Hajia Babalola confirmed that the infant was on this therapy for the first 18 months of her life, adding that the ARV was abruptly discontinued in August 2005 without adequate explanations. She said: “They just told us she would no longer be taking the drugs, and when we sought to find out what informed that decision, they said her case was now good.” Danuk is of the view that what transpired in this case is typical of the prevailing attitude towards HIV/ AIDS and people living with the virus/disease. She insists that questions remain unanswered about the implications of placing someone who is not HIV-positive on ARV. There are also ethical considerations that surround that decision."
Baby Kehinde's hand was amputated due to the gross negligence of the UCH Ibadan staff & the hospital refused to pay sufficient compensation to her family. The case went to court in 2012...
I would really like to know how this mattter ended. The poor little girl will have to live with that disability for a lifetime unfortunately. So sad really...
Read the full story here: http://www.nigeriahivinfo.com/2012_stories/kehinde_story.php
By: Isaac Audu-Usman